Molecular detection of Anaplasma bovis, Ehrlichia canis and Hepatozoon felis in cats from Luanda, Angola

Ana Cristina Oliveira, Maria Francisca Luz, Sara Granada, Hugo Vilhena, Yaarit Nachum-Biala, Ana Patrícia Lopes, Luís Cardoso, Gad Baneth*

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

16 Scopus citations

Abstract

Background: Molecular identification of tick-borne pathogen infection in cats from Africa is scarce. The presence of bacterial (Anaplasma and Ehrlichia) and protozoal (Babesia and Hepatozoon) agents was investigated in blood samples from 102 domestic cats from Luanda, Angola, by polymerase chain reaction and DNA sequencing. Results: Three cats (2.9%) were found infected with Ehrlichia canis, three (2.9%) with Hepatozoon felis and one (1.0%) with Anaplasma bovis. The prevalence of infections with one single agent was 4.9%, and that of infection with two agents (i.e. E. canis and H. felis) was 1.0%. In total, six cats (5.9%) were found infected with at least one of the detected tick-borne agents. Conclusions: This is the first report of A. bovis, E. canis and H. felis in cats from Angola. To the best of our knowledge, A. bovis is also being reported for the first time in domestic cats outside of Japan. Cats are at a low to moderate risk of being infected with tick-borne agents in Luanda.

Original languageAmerican English
Article number167
JournalParasites and Vectors
Volume11
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - 20 Mar 2018

Bibliographical note

Publisher Copyright:
© 2018 The Author(s).

Keywords

  • DNA sequencing
  • Feline vector-borne diseases
  • Polymerase chain reaction
  • Tick-borne pathogens

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Molecular detection of Anaplasma bovis, Ehrlichia canis and Hepatozoon felis in cats from Luanda, Angola'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this